Insurance limits required by the University

Insurance limits are required for external users of university space or facilities. The applicable insurance limits indicated in the document below should be inserted in the insurance section of the contract or use permit. The document below provides minimum insurance requirements and based on the type of contract/agreement, activity or risk to the University, increased limits may be needed. Vendors providing goods or services and exhibitors participating in both university and non-university events need to have insurance and to provide certificates to the university. 

Minimum Insurance Requirements 

University Policy

Special Considerations 

  • Additional insurance coverage and/or higher coverage limits may be required for higher risk events, events involving alcohol and otherwise unique events.
  • External users of UC facilities or space need to enter into a Use Permit, which is administered through the UCSC Real Estate Office.
  • If alcohol (including beer and wine) is being served by a contractor or organization in the business of selling/providing alcohol, then Liquor Legal Liability in the amount of $1,000,000 is required. This coverage is required for contractors or organizations in the business of selling/providing alcohol. For example, a caterer or bartender providing bar service at an event will be required to submit a certificate showing evidence of this coverage. 
  • If alcohol (including beer and wine) is being served by an external user that is NOT in the business of selling/providing alcohol, then "Host Liquor Liability" in the amount of $1,000,000 is required. This coverage is included in most policies for individuals or businesses not in the business of selling alcohol. "Host Liquor Liability" is included in policies obtained through Campus Connexions. "Host Liquor Liability" may or may not appear as a distinct coverage on a certificate.
  • Contractors and exhibitors need to carry insurance. Examples of contractors are caterers, bartenders, musicians and other entertainers. The contractor's insurance certificate needs to name The Regents of the University of California as an additional insured. If the event involves an external user of UC space or facilities then the external user must also be listed as an additional insured. General - Minimum Insurance Requirements for Contractors/External User typically apply. Organizations in the business of selling/providing alcohol are also required to have Liquor Legal Liability in the amount of $1,000,000.

If assistance is needed, Campus Connexions can help external users. vendors and exhibitors meet the university's insurance requirements -

  • Go to Campus Connexions
    • For external users of UC space or facilities - under “I’m planning to...” choose “Rent a campus facility” from the drop-down menu
    • For contractors or exhibitors participating in events - under "I'm planning to..." choose "Exhibit at a campus event" from the drop-down menu
  • If you have questions about obtaining insurance, contact CampusConnexions directly at 866-838-9536 or by email at