Insurance for Property in Transit

University property while in transit to anywhere outside the contiguous United States is NOT insured unless reported to the university's insurance broker. The contiguous United States excludes Alaska, Hawaii and US territories and possessions; therefore, property in transit to Alaska, Hawaii and US territories and possessions needs to be scheduled as does all property in transit to foreign locations.

  • Every shipment of property outside the contiguous United States must be reported for there to be insurance provided by the university's insurance policy
  • Property that is being carried in baggage - either checked or carry-on - with the UC business traveler on a commercial aircraft, does not need to be reported 
  • There is no premium charged for property under $5,000,000
  • Property valued over $5,000,000 requires pre-approval and will incur a premium charge
  • Deductible is $1,000
  • There are geographical limits to the policy, specifically - coverage is excluded for shipments to and from countries which are the subject of trade or economic embargoes imposed by the laws or regulations of the United States of America - contact UCSC Risk Services at 831-459-5154 if there is a coverage question
  • Property shipped by any government postal service is not covered. 

To request coverage, fill out and return the Transit Insurance Request form and return it to Risk Services as soon as possible prior to shipment.

If you have any questions contact or call us at 831-459-1458 or 831-459-5154.